Now that you have added Handmade by Gwen to your candle collection, we want to ensure your candles burn the longest and cleanest as possible. So we thought we'd provide you with a few tips below.
- Before you light your candle, always trim your wick to 1/4 inch to ensure a clean burn.
- The first time you light your candle, allow a full wax pool to melt to the edges of the jar. Soy wax has memory, wherever the wax is when you blow out your candle is where it will burn next time you light it.
- Do not burn your candle longer than 4 hours in each use.
- When you are finished with your candle, recycle the jar! Some ideas we've seen are converting the jar into a planter, a crayon holder for your kids, and can even be used for bathroom organization. The possibilities are endless!
Not only do we hope for proper care of the candle, but also for yourself and home. Please review the proper care while burning and extinguishing below.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended or lit while sleeping. If you are going to leave the room or go to bed, be sure to extinguish all candles first.
- Never touch or move a burning candle. Never move a candle container when the wax is liquified as the wax is hot and can cause injuries if it comes in contact with the skin.
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down. For safety measures, stop burning a candle when there is ¼ inch of wax left in the jar.
- Extinguish a candle if the flame becomes too high or is constantly flickering. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, and check for unwanted drafts before re-lighting.
- Keep burning candles away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Do not place lit candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.
We hope that you take this knowledge and practice safe candle care.